8.5.10

Happy mother's day!

At my birthday brunch, I made quite a variety of things, a nice rich omelette filled with veggies and cheese, cottage cheese pancakes with a side of pure maple syrup, a light and fluffy fruit cake, pita and hummus, chocolate cupcakes with buttercream icing, homemade lemonade (which I didn't even get a glass of! I'll just get my bhabhi to make some more next time). But the best items my parents missed out on at that brunch, were cream biscuits and chocolate dipped strawberries.


 My parents had to attend a wedding that same morning, but not before my mother caught a glimpse of me dipping huge, juicy and oh so sweet red strawberries in melted milk and white chocolate fondue. She saw me hold each strawberry from its little leafy head and dip it slowly, twirling it around the chocolate to ensure an even coating on all sides. As I slowly placed each strawberry on a parchment lined tray, I noticed my mother's mouth water. There was a pause, and within that short moment, I knew the dilemma that was going in my mother's head : Shaadi peh jaoun yan ghar mein strawberries khaoun?


 Now as most of you know, mother's day is right around the corner. Not only did I end up saving my mother a couple of strawberries, but I also made a fresh batch of these little delights for my parents and their friends that joined my friends and I for my celebratory birthday supper. Top it off, it's listed in the menu for mother's day brunch, along with the dreamy creamy scone biscuits that she missed out on.

Chocolate Strawberries
Ingredients:
  • 1 box fresh strawberries, big ones are great for this dessert
  • 1/2 packet President's Choice Swirl Milk and White Decadent Chips
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 once bittersweet chocolate
  1. Thoroughly clean your strawberries and let them to dry on a towel. Meanwhile, place your oil and chocolate on a double boiler and melt away. Once melted, let the delicious fondue cool down a little. Now is the time to line a tray or a cookie sheet that fits into your fridge with parchment paper.
  2. Make sure your berries are dry. Taking one by its leafy head, or if you prefer using a BBQ skewer or a fork inserted near its head, dip the strawberry all the way into the chocolate, twirling it this way and that way to ensure an even coating. Place each of your dipped berries on the lined sheet and place in the fridge to firm up.
  3. Melt the bittersweet chocolate in the microwave on high for one minute, stirring once in between. Once your chocolate is properly melted, remove your tray filled with yummy strawberries, and to ensure everything is as delicious as it should be, sample one! Using a fork, drizzle your chocolate on the strawberries and refrigerate until you're ready to eat and to feed them!
Cream Biscuits
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
  1. Preheat oven to 425'F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients and gradually stir in 1 cup of cream, adding 1/4 cup more at a time if the mixture is too dry. Stir until dough comes together. 
  3. Turn your dough into a ball onto a generously floured counter and pat down or roll using a rolling pin until 3/4 of an inch thick. Using a relatively large circular or fluted cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut it into circles.You may definately re-use scraps here.
  4. Now you can either brush generously with the melted butter and pop them in the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until nicely puffed up and slightly golden, or you can flash freeze them and then put them in a nice freezer bag and keep them in the freezer until you're ready to bake them (the baking time will probably be a little longer).
Now that you're eagerly awaiting for your scones to come out of the oven, you might want to prepare a nice cup of chai, take out some small plates, a couple of butter knives, salted butter and strawberry or rasberry jam. Go pluck a nice flower from the garden, place all of the above mentioned items on a nice big tray, and once your scones are out, place them on a nice china plate. Bring the tray, the scone plate and the tea to your mother's bed and wish her a happy mother's day.

Love you mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment